The Settle & Carlisle Railway was built from 1869 and opened in 1876. It's origins lay in railway politics, with the Midland Railway locked in a battle over access rights to their rival London North Western Railway's trackage up the now West Coast Main Line. It runs officially from Settle Junction to Petterill Bridge Junction, but is classically known to run from Settle station to Carlisle Citadel station.
The line from the outset had 18 stations, however three years later due to local petitions, a station was built at Culgaith, between Langwathby and New Biggin, opening in 1880. The station bore a direct contrast of architecture to the rest of the stations on the S&C due to the passage of time, being built in the style named Derby Gothic. The station was built off one of only two level crossings on the S&C, and the signal box built to guard it and the goods yards was built to a familiar MR style, namely a 4a type box constructed in 1908.
Fast forward to the present day, where much has changed. Culgaith station closed with the initial cessation of stopping services on the line, and despite the more recent resuming of these services never reopened. The former station building survives, along with a small portion of the southbound platform, and the goods shed on the northbound side has also survived. Along with the MR signal box, seen here as it and the signalman witness the final pass of 6201 "Princess Elizabeth", working the southbound leg of The Cumbrian Mountaineer on 17th November 2012.